[PC-BSD Public] pcbsd and qemu

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Wed Oct 22 13:39:52 PDT 2008

Rance Hall wrote:
> I want to convert my development box to pcbsd, ive actually been
> wanting to switch to an all bsd shop for quite some time, but have
> been unable to do so for two main reasons.
>
> 1) on my desktop, I need a way to get qemu to run with the accelerator
> kernel module installed and with the qemu vm able to directly access
> the internet so that I can test tftp setups etc from the desktop
> machine.
>
> Ive read tutorial after tutorial designed to get freebsd to a state
> where this is allowed, but ive not been successful, has anyone been
> able to get this to work and if so, is there documentation I can look
> at.
>
> 2) on my servers my firewall script needs completely rewritten to
> support the differences between iptables and the firewalls available
> on freebsd/pcbsd
>
> I can fix 2 when I get the time to sit down and actually do it.
>
> but I need help with 1 and the network configuration to allow qemu
> based vms to access the net the way I want.
>
> !DSPAM:1,48ff8c9764188389845126!

Rance,

Have you tried PC-BSD 7.x with the QEmu PBI we offer here:

http://www.pbidir.com/bt/pbi/77/qemu

This PBI works with the kqemu kernel module / accel just fine on my
desktop, and the network access seems to be functioning fine as well.

As for the direct net access, I've not played too much with it, besides
surfing the net in a qemu session :)

Can you grab this PBI and confirm that at least the acceleration is
working properly, and then try to setup tftp in it?

http://www.pcbsd.com