[PC-BSD Public] newbie

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Oct 21 07:51:41 PDT 2008

Bob Schmidt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have used linux for some time but this is my first time with bsd. I do
> have a quick question, is there something like compiz-fusion for bsd?
> I'd like to enable all the desktop enhancements, do I need to install an
> nvidia driver, do they have a pbi (?)  nvidia driver?
>
> thanks,
> Bob
>
> !DSPAM:1,48fdeaf964181547819334!

Bob,

If you are on PC-BSD 7.x, you simply run the X configuration tool at the
boot splash screen indicated as "Run the Display Setup Wizard" (Option 7
I believe), and in the config tool, choose one of the nvidia-xxx
drivers. Once you have selected an nvidia driver, in KDE4, go to start
-> System Settings -> Desktop -> Enable Desktop Effects. That'll enable
the built-in KDE4 compositing effects, just like compiz fusion :)

http://www.pcbsd.com