[PC-BSD Public] Public Digest, Vol 12, Issue 2

Terry Poulin bigboss1964 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 22:33:33 PST 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:58:21 +0000
> From: "John ." <comp.john at googlemail.com>
> Subject: [PC-BSD Public] oddity in http://docs.pcbsd.org/guide/
> 	section 11	(networking)
> To: public at lists.pcbsd.org
>
> Hi,
>
> In section 11 (Networking) of the guide, there is the following text:
>
> [snip]
>
> IP address: The IP address you want for the selected network
> interface. This IP address cannot be a public IP and needs to belong
> to private network IP addresses.
>
> [/snip]
>
> now, I have a real /28 and *want* to use one out of my allocation. I
> do this in FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Can I not do this in PC-BSD as
> described in section 11 of the handbook? Or do I have to go via the
> ifconfig/rc.conf route?
>
> thanks
> --
> John

I would expect the message in the documentation is just a warning, the
actual program probably will only care if an octlet is 255 or 0 in dotted
notation. Of couse though, like every part of PC-BSD that didn't ship with
FreeBSD, if you want to know you'll need to check their SVN.

If you know how to do it the usual way, don't bother with the PC-BSD method;
unless you'll be turning the box over to people that don't know a loopback
from a packet filter, or training them to work with the system -> it's
just a waste of time.

TerryP.

--
Why are we importing all these highbrow plays like "Amadeus?"  I could
have told you Mozart was a jerk for nothing.