[PC-BSD Public] 1. BSDstats: February Statistics - 18 494 Hosts Reported In

Terry Poulin bigboss64 at ippimail.com
Sat Mar 8 15:52:22 PST 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 23:43:11 -0400
> From: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at hub.org>
> Subject: [PC-BSD Public] BSDstats: February Statistics - 18 494 Hosts
> 	Reported In
>

> As of March 7th, 2008, the project is seeing 18 494 hosts reporting in, with a
> break down as follows:
>
>            DesktopBSD       3 242 hosts
>            DragonFly           27 hosts
>            FreeBSD          6 260 hosts
>            GNU/kFreeBSD         5 hosts
>            MidnightBSD          6 hosts
>            MirBSD              14 hosts
>            NetBSD             109 hosts
>            OpenBSD             56 hosts
>            PC-BSD           8 775 hosts
>
> Top 10 Countries reporting in (out of 85 Countries total):
>
>            United States         23.5%
>            Russian Federation     7.4%
>            Australia              6.4%
>            Brazil                 6.3%
>            Germany                6.2%
>            France                 3.4%
>            Ukraine                3.2%
>            Japan                  3.2%
>            United Kingdom         3.0%
>            Canada                 2.7%
>

> Project Objective:
>
> "The mission of this site is to compile semi-accurate numbers for advocacy and
> marketing of the *BSD operating systems."
>

> PC-BSD, to the best of our knowledge, is the only one that defaults to
> enabled,
> while the rest have to be enabled manually.
>
> For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats to
> set
> things up.
>
> If you aren't participating, we very much encourage you to start ... the
> report
> script is a shell script, so you can scan it to figure out what, exactly, is
> being sent in .. and there is only one level of reporting that is  required,
> and that is Operating System + Version ... Device and Ports reporting are 100%
> optional ...
>
> For those that are participating ... once more, thank you ... and spread the
> word, we need more ...

The number of Unix installations has grown to 10, with more expected.
     -- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972

I'm glad to see that most BSDs are faring much better on BSD Stats then the
quote above.

I think I'll take a look at setting up my OpenBSD machine for it as well.

TerryP.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com