[PC-BSD Public] us (qwerty) keymap on the console even if you choose a Belgian keymap during installation (fixed)

Pierre Bauduin pierre at baudu.in
Wed Aug 15 07:10:37 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have experience in Linux and BSD, and I gave PC-BSD a try last saturday.
What I like about PC-BSD is that it's very easy to install and to use for
the "layman".

But, I have found a "major" flaw:
When I switch to the virtual consoles (Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F2, and so on),
I can't log on, with any user.
After scratching my head, I found out the reason is that I'm typing the
password on a US (QWERTY) keyboard. After finally logging in (with some
password that has only numbers, no letters) I found out that indeed on the
console you're in the US (QWERTY) keymap. And with all the virtual consoles
(Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F2, and so on..)

But I have found the solution :)

Since I have a FreeBSD 6.2 box handy, I have looked into its /etc/rc.conf.

The solution is to add, on the PC-BSD machine,  in the file /etc/rc.conf
keymap="be.iso"

One might argue that the "layman" would probably not do Ctrl-Alt-F1 and type
commands, and that it will only use the GUI. Well, maybe :)

Greetings,

--
Pierre Bauduin
Linux enthusiast since 1996