[Pcbsd-warden] *Serious* - Warden/Jail error (rc2)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Nov 29 11:25:46 PST 2011

On 11/27/2011 20:34, Tigersharke . wrote:
> Hello..
>
> Ok.. as mentioned before, I had some strange errors appear after my
> update from rc1 to rc2, which I corrected by removing and reinstalling
> the Warden PBI. My system is amd64 currently running v9.0rc2, all
> desktops installed (now including FVWM) and Warden via PBI. Using XFCE
> as my desktop now.
>
> The serious error is that the jail does not seem to have been
> untouched, as described below.
>
> Upon a ssh into one of my jails I discovered that its contents did not
> remain unchanged. Inside the jail I had a svn directory in
> /usr/home/tigersharke/ which now is absent.  I am uncertain whether
> any other things are missing.  I also had copied the component
> directories of the svn directory into /usr/ports/ inside the same jail
> and those are present. The other jail has my exploration of pkgsrc,
> and my changes in /usr/sbin/ and /var/db/ remain. The jails were
> stopped but not exported prior to the update.
>
> Jail issues:
>
>   * Items within a user's /home/ directory may not be preserved but
>     /usr/ports/* /var/db/* and /usr/sbin/* are.

        I'm looking into this, but don't see any way in which files are
getting removed from a jail. Are you sure you are ssh'ed into the right
jail? I.E on the system if you look in
/usr/local/warden/jails/<ip>/usr/home/tigersharke/ do you see anything
different?

>   * Does Warden PBI affect jails if Warden PBI is removed and reinstalled?

It shouldn't affect jails, but it will reset any lost settings.

>   * Earlier mentioned error- Warden PBI seems to be affected by the
>     update from rc1 to rc2.

I've just implemented some fixes to prevent losing the settings in
future upgrades.

BTW, The Warden is going to be getting a major overhaul for 9.1, and
incorporated directly into the base system like AppCafe. All of these
issues will be addressed, and I'll be putting in some new and better
features as well :)