[Pcbsd-warden] Warden via cli fails

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 00:17:46 PST 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Tigersharke . <tigersharke at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello!
>
>  I am using v9.0rc2 recently updated, on amd64, with all desktops
> installed, and Warden 1.1.2 PBI which was installed in v9.0rc1.
> (Having repeated my system info so many times it feels like I need a macro
> or .sig for it :)
>
> When I use warden via gui, it seems to work without any issues/errors.. I
> only say 'seems' because I have not yet run into anything with the 1.1.2
> version.
>
> My attempt to initiate warden from the shell results in an error:
>
> # warden
> PROGDIR unset! Is The Warden installed properly?
> #
>
> After a little digging, I discover this:
>
> # more /usr/pbi/warden-amd64/warden/conf/warden.conf
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # Sourced functions for the warden
> # These variables may be set with the "pbreg" command, or via the GUI tool
>
> PROGDIR="`pbreg get /PC-BSD/TheWarden/ProgDir`"
>
> if [ -z "${PROGDIR}" ]
> then
>    echo "PROGDIR unset! Is The Warden installed properly?"
>    exit 155
> fi
>
> # Location of the World src
> WORLDSRC="`pbreg get /PC-BSD/TheWarden/WorldSrc`"
> export WORLDSRC
>
> # Location of the built world environment
> WORLDDIR="`pbreg get /PC-BSD/TheWarden/WorldDir`"
> export WORLDDIR
>
> # Network Interface for the jails to use
> NIC="`pbreg get /PC-BSD/TheWarden/NIC`"
>

> And if I try to obtain similar information manually:
>
> # echo "`pbreg get /PC-BSD/TheWarden/WorldSrc`"
>
> # echo "`pbreg get /PC-BSD/TheWarden/WorldDir`"
>
> # echo "`pbreg get /PC-BSD/TheWarden/ProgDir`"
>
> # pbreg list
> pbreg Version 1.0
> --------
>
> Commands:
>   get - Gets a variable from the registry
>   set - Sets a variable specified by <value> in the registry
>   rem - Removes a variable from the registry
>
> Examples:
>
>  # pbreg get /PC-BSD/Version
>  # pbreg set /PC-BSD/Version 1.0
>  # pbreg rem /PC-BSD/Version
>
> So, how can I get around this failure in order to continue with a test of
> Warden 1.1.2 via cli (ncurses)?

I have just discovered that warden via GUI fails to start any of the jails
I had setup prior to the system update from rc1 to rc2.  Though I entered
the locations of the jail directory and used /var/tmp for temporary files
directory, and it does *see* them.. the attempt to start a jail causes a
very brief popup message to blink and vanish, I have no clue what is in the
small window that seems to appear.

When I attempt to see the installed packages for either jail, I receive the
same "PROGDIR" error as above, but in a GUIfied window :)

Is there anything I can do to actually work with the jails I had prior to
the update?

Thanks for all your efforts!