[PCBSD-malaysia] Fwd: [PC-BSD Testing] Warning about NVidia new drivers

Ahmad Arafat Abdullah trunasuci at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 23:00:36 PST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu>
Date: Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM
Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] Warning about NVidia new drivers
To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org>

  *“We believe recent NVIDIA UNIX graphics drivers are affected by a
recently reported fan speed issue in 195.36.08 and 195.36.03.
Until the problem is resolved, we recommend that UNIX users revert to the
190.53 web release, or the 195.30 public beta.”*

 As many of you are
aware<http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2055899>,
NVIDIA has hit some snags with their latest round of WHQL drivers. The
drivers have been interfering with the fan operation on certain NVIDIA video
cards, resulting in the GPU overheating. NVIDIA has taken down the drivers
in question, and has asked that we pass along the following message:

We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the
latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause
this issue, we recommend that customers do not download this driver.
Instead, please stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75
drivers have been temporarily removed from our website and we also are
asking our partners and others to remove temporarily this 196.75 WHQL driver
as well.

Here’s a link for instructions on how to roll back your driver.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_rollback.html

# uname -a
NetBSD  5.0 NetBSD 5.0 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Apr 26 18:50:08 UTC 2009
 builds at b6.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-0-RELEASE/i386/200904260229Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
i386