[PCBSD-malaysia] Fwd: [PC-BSD Translations] process question for book

Ahmad Arafat Abdullah trunasuci at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:39:41 PST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:58 AM
Subject: [PC-BSD Translations] process question for book
To: translations at lists.pcbsd.org

 Hi everyone,

The upcoming PC-BSD book has a chapter on contributing to PC-BSD which
contains a section on translations. I'd like to include an overview of the
PC-BSD's translation process so new translators have an idea of what to
expect. It's clear that a new user should join this list and register an
account on pootle. Is this the correct process for editing a .po file?

- when adding a new translation string, always check fuzzy and click Suggest
so your translation will be reviewed by another translator

Some general questions dealing with process:

- if someone adds a translated string, does pootle force it to be suggested
and fuzzy, or does the user have to specify this?

- can anyone click Submit to "unfuzzy" a translated string or are there only
a few "commiters" who have this permission?

- if someone wants to edit a translated (unfuzzy) string, does the interface
allow them to do this or do only some users have this permission? if anyone
can do this, should they bring it up on translations@ first or just leave a
comment on pootle why they did so? Are these types of changes automatically
marked as fuzzy?

- when a new fuzzy string is created, does pootle send an automatic email
anywhere so others know that the translation should be reviewed?

- any other process stuff new users should be aware of?

- is there an IRC channel where you guys tend to hang out if a new user has
a quick question or should they just ask here?

If the process is written down somewhere (I wasn't able to find it), please
let me know the URL. Otherwise, I'd like to include your desired process in
this section of the book so we don't get a bunch of enthusiastic new
translators who don't know what they're doing and mess things up :-)

Cheers,

Dru

# uname -a
NetBSD  5.0 NetBSD 5.0 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Apr 26 18:50:08 UTC 2009
 builds at b6.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-0-RELEASE/i386/200904260229Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
i386