[PCBSD-malaysia] Fwd: PCBSD got good reviews on CommTechAsia during MSC Opensource Conference 2009!

Ahmad Arafat Abdullah trunasuci at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 02:09:31 PDT 2009

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ahmad Arafat Abdullah <trunasuci at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM
Subject: PCBSD got good reviews on CommTechAsia during MSC Opensource
Conference 2009!
To: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.com>,
matt at ixsystems.com, Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel at prometheusresearch.com>, "James
T. Nixon III" <james at ixsystems.com>
Cc: trunasuci at gmail.com

Hi all;

Today i got email from Charles Pereira of CommTechAsia during our Conf, and
he really come to our PCBSD booth, played with it, give it test on his usb
DSL wireless modem and it's responding thru WINE!!

check out this link:
*
http://commtechasia.net/tech/features-mainmenu-38/531-msc-malaysia-open-source-conference-2009-an-eye-opener.html
*

*It was also pleasantly surprising to see that all Linux variants showcased
– namely Ubuntu 9.04, OpenSuSe 11 and Fedora 10 all came in-built with
drivers for increasingly popular cellular-USB modem dongles, while PC BSD –
not a Linux but a variant of the Unix-like FreeBSD optimised for desktops –
let us install the modem's Windows driver within its Wine translator. Only
OpenSolaris – an Open Source version of Sun Microsystems' flavour of Unix
called Solaris did not have the drivers for the Huawei E230 cellular modem
we plugged in.*

I also do a demo on PCBSD playing DVD, ( in this case i just pop in the IRON
MAIDEN / JUDAS PRIEST live concert DVD and play it ) it's attract lots of
people ( including Charles himself ) because no one is demonstrating how the
distro/OS is useful on daily use/multimedia and so on except us! So Charles
is taking a snapshot of the desktop with live DVD video is playing, with
"Digi" icon on the desktop that he installed his DSL modem driver thru wine!

I like to congrats to all PCBSD team and all of u for supporting me and
future of PCBSD-malaysia team..

TQ so much

p/s: i think this news/reviews can be published on our official PCBSD.org
website

--
# uname -a
NetBSD  5.0 NetBSD 5.0 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Apr 26 18:50:08 UTC 2009