[PCBSD-malaysia] Fwd: [Project Honey Pot] 1 Billion Spammers Served

Muhammad Najmi Ahmad Zabidi najmi.zabidi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 18:12:54 PST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Project Honey Pot Team <announce at projecthoneypot.org>
Date: Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:27 AM
Subject: [Project Honey Pot] 1 Billion Spammers Served
To: MuhammadNajmi <najmi.zabidi at gmail.com>

Dear MuhammadNajmi:

On Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 06:20 (GMT), Project Honey Pot achieved a
milestone: receiving its 1 billionth spam message. The billionth message was
an United States Internal Revenue Service phishing scam sent to an email
address that had been harvested more than two years ago. More than just a
single spam email, the billionth message represents the collective work of
you and tens of thousands of other web and email administrators like you in
more than 170 countries around the world. Together we have built Project
Honey Pot into the largest community tracking online fraud and abuse.

To celebrate this milestone, we sifted through five years of data to learn
more about spam and the spammers who send it. As a small token of thanks for
your help, we wanted to share some of our more interesting preliminary
findings. Click the following link for the Full Report:

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/1_billionth_spam_message_stats.php

Highlights include:

- Monday is the busiest day of the week for email spam, Saturday is the
 quietest
- 12:00 (GMT) is the busiest hour of the day for spam, 23:00 (GMT) is the
 quietest
- Malicious bots have increased at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of
 378% since Project Honey Pot started
- Over the last five years, you'd have been 9 times more likely to get a
 phishing message for Chase Bank than Bank of America, however Facebook is
 rapidly becoming the most phished organization online
- Finland has some of the best computer security in the world, China some
 of the worst
- It takes the average spammer 2 and a half weeks from when they first
 harvest your email address to when they send you your first spam message,
 but that's twice as fast as they were five years ago
- Every time your email address is harvested from a website, you can expect
 to receive more than 850 spam messages
- Spammers take holidays too: spam volumes drop nearly 21% on Christmas Day
 and 32% on New Year's Day
- And much more.....

We have published it under the Creative Commons Attribution license, so
don't hesitate to share anything you find interesting. In the end, we
couldn't have gathered this data without you.

Thank you for all your help over the last five years. Here's to wishing you
happy holidays and a relatively spam-free New Year.

Sincerely,
The Project Honey Pot Team

To block all future requests:
http://www.projecthoneypot.org/block_all_future_contact.php