[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Slowness running custom PBIs

Renato Botelho rbgarga at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 12:48:43 PDT 2014

Hello,

We are using PBIs on pfSense for years, on a pfSense version based on
FreeBSD 8.3, and it's working fine.

Now we are moving to FreeBSD 10.0, and we built a first set of PBIs to
start testing. We used basically the same method we used before, at
builder machine:

- install xdg-utils
- install src-sh/libsh
- install src-sh/pbi-manager
- Build PBI using pbi_makeport

On pfSense, we install pbi-manager, both on pfSense and on builder we
are using branch releng/10.0 from pcbsd git repo.

The built PBI installs and run fine on pfSense, but, they are slow, for
instance, when I install git PBI on pfSense based on FreeBSD 8.3, and
call 'time git' on command prompt without any parameters, i got:

0.000u 0.002s 0:00.00 0.0%0+0k 11+0io 12pf+0w

while on pfSense based on FreeBSD 10.0 I got:

0.007u 0.036s 0:01.06 2.8%69+268k 0+67io 0pf+0w

Is it expected to have this slowness? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong
to build the PBIs?

Best regards
--
Renato Botelho