[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Netbeans PBI - bin wrapper suggestion

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Apr 15 09:44:05 PDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 12:28, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:

> On 04/15/2013 12:10, Ken Moore wrote:
>> On 04/15/2013 11:08, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
>>> OK, a bit more changes needs to be made to make it fully work, like
>>> rename the pbiopt file and put the full path of the executable in
>>> the "netbeans-7.3".
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> Hope this helps someone
>>>
>>> Fabry
>>>
>> Ok, I have been working on adding this to the netbeans PBI, but I
>> have a couple quick questions/comments:
>>
>> 1) I have created a binary wrapper script called "netbeans.sh" which
>> will let you add your additional flags to that wrapper script. Do you
>> think it is a good idea for me to just turn this flag on by default?
>> Do you know of any downsides?
>>
>> Full Command:
>>   <path-to-binary>/netbeans
>> -J-Dnetbeans.subversion.commit.deepStatusRefresh=false $@
>
> I don't see a downside on turning it on, but the flag is off for all
> the netbeans installations, even the windows version needs to have the
> flag added after the installation.  What this flag does is telling
> netbeans to stop checking for any changed made outside the editor when
> committing (you can force this check by right click on the repository
> and choosing "refresh" or pressing F5 or "updating" the repo.).  In my
> case the commit time changes from about 1 minute for even one small
> file to less than a second (instantaneous).
>

>> 2) There is only a single binary that is actually run for netbeans
>> (<pbi-dir>/netbeans-<version>/bin/netbeans) and all the other
>> binaries in the port (<pbi-dir>/bin/[netbeans, netbeans-<version>])
>> just redirect to that binary. So you should not need to perform your
>> fix for both the .sbin binaries (unless you use both those different
>> command-line commands at different times to start the program).
>>
>> I will link the desktop/menu entries to automatically use the new
>> wrapper script, but from the command line you will need to
>> specifically run "netbeans.sh" to use it.
>>

> I did change both binary mostly because the ~/bin/netbeans-7.3 is
> pointing to netbeans-7.3 and not to netbeans.
> I would suggest to leave it as netbeans without the .sh in it to
> ensure that anyone that is executing the program from command line
> doesn't have to remember that.. oh yeah, netbeans has an ".sh" at the
> end.  But either way I am OK with it.
>
>> Thanks!
>>
> Thank you for the prompt response.
>
> Fabry

OK, that is all done and the PBI is set to rebuild.

I have set the PBI to overwrite the "netbeans"  system link to point to
the wrapper script instead, so now worries about different CLI usage.
With these changes you should only need to modify the
<pbi-dir>/bin/netbeans.sh script if you want to change/add any more
flags, so let me know if you come across any other flags that you would
like to have turned on by default.

The new PBI should rebuild with version number 7.3_01 here soon, so you
can test it out before it gets approved just to make sure that it is all
working properly.

--
~~Ken Moore~~