[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Netbeans PBI - bin wrapper suggestion

Fabrizio Parrella fabrizio at bibivu.com
Mon Apr 15 09:28:53 PDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 12:10, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 04/15/2013 11:08, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
>> OK, a bit more changes needs to be made to make it fully work, like
>> rename the pbiopt file and put the full path of the executable in the
>> "netbeans-7.3".
>>
>> [...]
>> Hope this helps someone
>>
>> Fabry
>>
> Ok, I have been working on adding this to the netbeans PBI, but I have
> a couple quick questions/comments:
>
> 1) I have created a binary wrapper script called "netbeans.sh" which
> will let you add your additional flags to that wrapper script. Do you
> think it is a good idea for me to just turn this flag on by default?
> Do you know of any downsides?
>
> Full Command:
>   <path-to-binary>/netbeans
> -J-Dnetbeans.subversion.commit.deepStatusRefresh=false $@

I don't see a downside on turning it on, but the flag is off for all the
netbeans installations, even the windows version needs to have the flag
added after the installation.  What this flag does is telling netbeans
to stop checking for any changed made outside the editor when committing
(you can force this check by right click on the repository and choosing
"refresh" or pressing F5 or "updating" the repo.).  In my case the
commit time changes from about 1 minute for even one small file to less
than a second (instantaneous).

> 2) There is only a single binary that is actually run for netbeans
> (<pbi-dir>/netbeans-<version>/bin/netbeans) and all the other binaries
> in the port (<pbi-dir>/bin/[netbeans, netbeans-<version>]) just
> redirect to that binary. So you should not need to perform your fix
> for both the .sbin binaries (unless you use both those different
> command-line commands at different times to start the program).
>
> I will link the desktop/menu entries to automatically use the new
> wrapper script, but from the command line you will need to
> specifically run "netbeans.sh" to use it.

I did change both binary mostly because the ~/bin/netbeans-7.3 is
pointing to netbeans-7.3 and not to netbeans.
I would suggest to leave it as netbeans without the .sh in it to ensure
that anyone that is executing the program from command line doesn't have
to remember that.. oh yeah, netbeans has an ".sh" at the end.  But
either way I am OK with it.

> Thanks!

Thank you for the prompt response.

Fabry