[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Netbeans PBI - bin wrapper suggestion

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Apr 15 09:10:40 PDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 11:08, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
> OK, a bit more changes needs to be made to make it fully work, like
> rename the pbiopt file and put the full path of the executable in the
> "netbeans-7.3".
>
> This is the FULL list of commands that I run to make this work
> (inclusive of all the shortcuts that I already have):
>
> #cd /usr/pbi/netbeans-amd64/.sbin
>
> #mv netbeans-7.3 netbeans-7.3.bin
> #echo "/usr/pbi/netbeans-amd64/.sbin/netbeans-7.3.bin" > netbeans-7.3
> #chmod +x netbeans-7.3
> #mv netbeans-7.3.pbiopt netbeans-7.3.bin.pbiopt
>
> #mv netbeans netbeans.bin
> #echo "/usr/pbi/netbeans-amd64/.sbin/netbeans.bin" > netbeans
> #chmod +x netbeans
> #mv netbeans.pbiopt netbeans.bin.pbiopt
>
> execute this AFTER that you installed/updated to netbeans 7.3 and you
> will be able to update the parameters as needed.
>
> If you have a 32bit version don't forget to change the "amd64" with
> your "i386"
>
> Also keep in mind that you will have to add your parameters to two files:
>  - netbeans
>  - netbeans-7.3
>
> Hope this helps someone
>
> Fabry
>

> On 04/15/2013 10:20, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
>> Love it, and I use it every day.
>>
>> I suggest a small change in the PBI executable, we should create a
>> "wrapper" around it as for something like that it is very often
>> needed to tweak the settings based on the machine or on the needs of
>> the developer.
>>
>> This is what I do on my computer for the latest PBI (7.3):
>>
>> #cd /usr/pbi/netbeans-amd64/.sbin
>> #mv netbeans-7.3 netbeans-7.3.bin
>> #echo "./netbeans-7.3.bin" > netbeans-7.3
>> #chmod +x netbeans-7.3
>>
>> then I edit "netbeans-7.3" and I add my params like
>> "-J-Dnetbeans.subversion.commit.deepStatusRefresh=false" that
>> incredibly speeds up the SVN commits. (in my environment this is
>> crucial as we have thousands of files).
>>
>> Fabry

Ok, I have been working on adding this to the netbeans PBI, but I have a
couple quick questions/comments:

1) I have created a binary wrapper script called "netbeans.sh" which
will let you add your additional flags to that wrapper script. Do you
think it is a good idea for me to just turn this flag on by default? Do
you know of any downsides?

Full Command:
   <path-to-binary>/netbeans
-J-Dnetbeans.subversion.commit.deepStatusRefresh=false $@

2) There is only a single binary that is actually run for netbeans
(<pbi-dir>/netbeans-<version>/bin/netbeans) and all the other binaries
in the port (<pbi-dir>/bin/[netbeans, netbeans-<version>]) just redirect
to that binary. So you should not need to perform your fix for both the
.sbin binaries (unless you use both those different command-line
commands at different times to start the program).

I will link the desktop/menu entries to automatically use the new
wrapper script, but from the command line you will need to specifically
run "netbeans.sh" to use it.

Thanks!

--
~~Ken Moore~~