[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Fwd: Re: The PBI release process. Or, why hasn't the Blender pbi been bumped

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jul 5 06:57:33 PDT 2012

> > On 06/23/2012 00:32, Rob Messick wrote:
> >> What is the process for triggering a new pbi build when the
> >> underlying port has been updated? Is there an automated process or
> >> does it require manual intervention?
> >>
> >> Specifically, the blender port has been updated to 2.6.3,1
> >> (http://www.freshports.org/graphics/blender/) . There have been two
> >> updates to the port since the last pbi was built on
> >> (ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/pbioutgoing/x64/9/graphics/blender/). Is
> >> there another build server that tracks ports on a more frequent basis?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> -Rob (@mindKMST)
> >
> > A new PBI is built automatically once a new version is detected in the
> > FreeBSD ports tree. Once that PBI has built, it gets tested for
> > functionality before it is approved (pushed out to the AppCafe).
> >
> > The PBI build servers were down for quite a while to facilitate
> > building the latest PC-BSD 9.1-snapshots. They are currently back up
> > and running, but it will take a little bit for them to catch back up
> > with all the port changes. You can keep up with build servers and
> > download the latest (untested/unapproved) PBI's directly from them at
> > the following websites:
> > http://pbibuild.pcbsd.org (32-bit PBI's)
> > http://pbibuild64.pcbsd.org (64-bit PBI's)
> >
> > Thank you for your patience!
> >
> Ken, doesn't look like many PBIs have been built on pbibuild64 since
> your previous message. I see some openoffice builds and I know those
> used to take me hours.  Are the openoffice-3 builds holding up the build
> server from catching up with the rest of the pbis that need building?
> Is each pbibuild server only building one pbi at a time?
>
> Is there a way to get these pbi builds sped up? Is it an implementation
> problem with the build cluster? Is it resource issue: hardware,
> manpower, manpower to configure the build system for distributed builds?
> Is there something the community can do pitch in?
>
> P.S. The last thing I want to do is sound ungrateful, I appreciate what
> you and iXSystems do. But, I do feel that the build/release process
> could be a little more transparent/better documented.

The openoffice / libreoffice builds really do take a chunk of time to
rebuild, compounded by the fact that we have to do 10+ different
versions of them for multi-lingual support. Also our build server has
been much slower the past few weeks as we spun new 9-STABLE snapshots.
The server is again busy building PBIs, while we await the tag of
FreeBSD 9.1-BETA1, and should be getting to blender soon.

The good news is that we have a new build server which will be going in
at the end of the month, which should greatly speed up this process.