[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] The PBI release process. Or, why hasn't the Blender pbi been bumped

Rob Messick robmessick at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 19:11:57 PDT 2012

On 06/25/2012 13:43, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 06/23/2012 00:32, Rob Messick wrote:
>> What is the process for triggering a new pbi build when the
>> underlying port has been updated? Is there an automated process or
>> does it require manual intervention?
>>
>> Specifically, the blender port has been updated to 2.6.3,1
>> (http://www.freshports.org/graphics/blender/) . There have been two
>> updates to the port since the last pbi was built on
>> (ftp://ftp.pcbsd.org/pub/pbioutgoing/x64/9/graphics/blender/). Is
>> there another build server that tracks ports on a more frequent basis?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rob (@mindKMST)
>
> A new PBI is built automatically once a new version is detected in the
> FreeBSD ports tree. Once that PBI has built, it gets tested for
> functionality before it is approved (pushed out to the AppCafe).
>
> The PBI build servers were down for quite a while to facilitate
> building the latest PC-BSD 9.1-snapshots. They are currently back up
> and running, but it will take a little bit for them to catch back up
> with all the port changes. You can keep up with build servers and
> download the latest (untested/unapproved) PBI's directly from them at
> the following websites:
> http://pbibuild.pcbsd.org (32-bit PBI's)
> http://pbibuild64.pcbsd.org (64-bit PBI's)
>
> Thank you for your patience!

Ken, doesn't look like many PBIs have been built on pbibuild64 since
your previous message. I see some openoffice builds and I know those
used to take me hours.  Are the openoffice-3 builds holding up the build
server from catching up with the rest of the pbis that need building?
Is each pbibuild server only building one pbi at a time?

Is there a way to get these pbi builds sped up? Is it an implementation
problem with the build cluster? Is it resource issue: hardware,
manpower, manpower to configure the build system for distributed builds?
Is there something the community can do pitch in?

P.S. The last thing I want to do is sound ungrateful, I appreciate what
you and iXSystems do. But, I do feel that the build/release process
could be a little more transparent/better documented.