[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] How to make a PBI with a combination of ports?

Jeff dejamuse at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 10:10:23 PST 2012

Yes, I've pretty much concluded that already.

In reality, having a stand alone phpmyadmin just to manage a remote DB probably isn't all that useful since most hosts offer it anyway, and getting a remote host to make their MySQL server open to the internet would be pretty tough.

So it's only really useful for managing a local server, and better just to install it yourself in a jail as I have done, along with Apache, etc.

Looking forward to an improved Warden experience for 9.1 in a few months. Every time I deal with the Warden these days, it won't serve files inside the jail.  Ahem.  Sorry, couldn't resist...

....Jeff

>________________________________

      phpMyAdmin, and add the two simple "IF"

>>Maybe even check if apache or mysql are installed with a simple:
>> - `which mysql`
>> - `which httpd`
>>
>>Fabry
>>

>>On 02/13/2012 12:40, Jeff wrote:
>>Thanks, I was able to build the PBI with Apache and PHP.
>>>

>>>The problem now is that I wanted to include the same services scripts as found in the Apache PBI for start up and other stuff.  Plus I need a custom config file for phpmyadmin for initial setup, and want to modify httpd.conf with a script to include an alias for phpmyadmin.
>>>

>>>No big deal, but it occurred to me that running the Apache PBI and PhpMyAdmin PBI that also includes Apache, would conflict unless I configure it to listen on a different port, which is a pain.
>>>

>>>Right now, with the Apache PBI, you access the server at http://localhost/index.html, so another server running would have to be http://localhost:8080/phpmyadmin or something like that.
>>>

>>>Is there another way to deal with that potential conflict?  What if the 2nd Apache installation used a virtual host setup - would that work?
>>>

>>>If I want to include the services scripts and any other custom scripts, do I just add them in the pbi.conf?  I sort of concluded that by looking at pbi.conf for the Apache PBI.
>>>

>>>Maybe it would just be easier to add PhpMyAdmin to the Apache PBI. It might make more sense anyway, to include PHP, and possibly even MySQL, since most people will want those too.
>>>

>>>Just curious, if someone added PHP, etc to the Apache PBI environment, after the PBI was installed, what would happen to those additions when the PBI got updated?
>>>

>>>Thanks,
>>>

>>>Jeff
>>>

>Just to follow up with this,
>
>We have noticed a number of PBI requests come in for programs like
    phpmyadmin (phpvirtualbox, owncloud, etc...) that are just web
    services and not actual stand-alone programs. We are still
    discussing what the best course of action is for these.
>Some of the options we have come up with are: Build the PBI with
    included web server and special configurations (as Fabry suggested),
    Warden inmates (programs to be used/run inside portjails with warden
    management), or package these programs with the main web servers but
    disabled by default (I.E. put phpvirtualbox with the Virtualbox PBI,
    phpmyadmin with the apache PBI, etc...)

>In any case, for the time being it might be easier for you to just
    build those programs as ports for the moment. Since there is
    basically no binaries within those packages, there should not be a
    problem with them affecting other system components. Of course,
    putting them in a port jail is always more  secure... :-)