[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Create pbi from pkgng repositories

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 27 11:33:33 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:35:18PM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 09/27/11 09:25, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As a developper of pkgng (new package management tool) I'm willing allow easy
> > pbi generation from pkgng packages.
> >
> > I have 3 ways to achieve this, I try two of them and they all works the 3rd will
> > take longer :)
> > 1/ modify pbi-manager so that is can create packages from pkgng repositories
> > (really easy one), works great but that would mean that it will be "your"
> > pbi-devs to maintain it.
> >
> > 2/ create a pkg2pbi script withing the pkgng code do it (in sh script) that
> > would mean that maintaining it would be "our" pkgng-devs responsability and I
> > will reinvent the wheel doing the same thing some pbi-manager functions already
> > does.
> >
> > 3/ create a full C pkg2pbi which will be faster than the both previous and will
> > use the libpkg from pkgng.
> >
> > I personnally perfer 1/ because it will avoir code duplication (2/) and it is
> > really easy to achieve.
> >
> > What do you prefer?
> >
> > regards,
> > Bapt
> >

> Method 1 seems to be the best to me as well.
>
> The only thing I would be curious about is when you add packages with
> pkgng, can it adjust the applications build PREFIX / LOCALBASE on the
> fly? The way PBIs need to be built is with the hard-coded
> /usr/pbi/<name> prefix, so that they don't begin tangling up with stuff
> in /usr/local.

if the package are build from ports there is no change in term of behaviour as
what was available before which means you can change PREFIX/LOCALBASE things. to
fit /usr/pbi/name the same way you did before.

In fact appart from adapting some the the pkg_tools call to the new pkg call
there won't be much changes for you.

Maybe before starting really working on this, I'll wait for EuroBSDCon so that
we can discuss about it.

I'm sure we easier your life for creating pbi's using pkgng. of course mapping
the way it actually works will and do work, but as I can implement in pkgng
things that can help, let's imagine the best way to create pbi for you, and then
see how pkgng can help, and for that a discussion will be better :).

Sorry at BSDCan I didn't take time to discuss with you about this, let's fix
that at eurobsdcon :)

regards,
Bapt