[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Create pbi from pkgng repositories

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Sep 27 09:35:18 PDT 2011

On 09/27/11 09:25, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a developper of pkgng (new package management tool) I'm willing allow easy
> pbi generation from pkgng packages.
>
> I have 3 ways to achieve this, I try two of them and they all works the 3rd will
> take longer :)
> 1/ modify pbi-manager so that is can create packages from pkgng repositories
> (really easy one), works great but that would mean that it will be "your"
> pbi-devs to maintain it.
>
> 2/ create a pkg2pbi script withing the pkgng code do it (in sh script) that
> would mean that maintaining it would be "our" pkgng-devs responsability and I
> will reinvent the wheel doing the same thing some pbi-manager functions already
> does.
>
> 3/ create a full C pkg2pbi which will be faster than the both previous and will
> use the libpkg from pkgng.
>
> I personnally perfer 1/ because it will avoir code duplication (2/) and it is
> really easy to achieve.
>
> What do you prefer?
>
> regards,
> Bapt

Method 1 seems to be the best to me as well.

The only thing I would be curious about is when you add packages with
pkgng, can it adjust the applications build PREFIX / LOCALBASE on the
fly? The way PBIs need to be built is with the hard-coded
/usr/pbi/<name> prefix, so that they don't begin tangling up with stuff
in /usr/local.