[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Create pbi from pkgng repositories

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 27 06:25:14 PDT 2011

Hi,

As a developper of pkgng (new package management tool) I'm willing allow easy
pbi generation from pkgng packages.

I have 3 ways to achieve this, I try two of them and they all works the 3rd will
take longer :)
1/ modify pbi-manager so that is can create packages from pkgng repositories
(really easy one), works great but that would mean that it will be "your"
pbi-devs to maintain it.

2/ create a pkg2pbi script withing the pkgng code do it (in sh script) that
would mean that maintaining it would be "our" pkgng-devs responsability and I
will reinvent the wheel doing the same thing some pbi-manager functions already
does.

3/ create a full C pkg2pbi which will be faster than the both previous and will
use the libpkg from pkgng.

I personnally perfer 1/ because it will avoir code duplication (2/) and it is
really easy to achieve.

What do you prefer?

regards,
Bapt