[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Pbi-dev Digest, Vol 55, Issue 16

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Mon Oct 31 06:31:41 PDT 2011

On 11-10-30 11:06 PM, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 10/30/11 17:39, Jesse Smith wrote:
>> On 11-10-30 06:18 PM, Tigersharke . wrote:
>>> Hello..
>>>
>>> It may be worth noting, that for a system which has not already been
>>> setup/used for building Qt stuff, the following additional steps are
>>> needed:
>>>
>>> Install qmake-qt4, qt4-uic, qt4-moc
>>>
>>> (Unless of course the intent was to use the qmake v3.x)
>>>
>>> And finally, in place of 'qmake'  use 'qmake-qt4'.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your efforts!
>>>

>> Thanks for the list of dependencies. Once EasyPBI is is pretty good
>> shape I plan to submit it as a FreeBSD port. (And, eventually, as a
>> PBI in the AppCafe.) That should make it easier for everyone to use.
>>
>> - Jesse
>>

> Jesse,
>
> I had some time this afternoon to look at the latest version of
> EasyPBI and I think it is almost ready for "release". I did change a
> number of things in the mainWindow files to more closely use the Qt
> framework, and I am attaching them here. The main changes are (in no
> particular order):
>
> 1) Shift things around on the GUI to make it a bit more intuitive
> 2) Add a progress bar to show the download status of the ports.tar.gz
> file.
> 3) Add the ability to search anywhere we like on the system for the
> ports tree (not just /usr/ports)
> 4) Change the default folder to (Home-dir)/EasyPBI rather than
> EasyPBI-modules (Since we have a "Modules" sub-directory already). I
> anticipate eventually having a "pbi" sub-directory once we include the
> capability to build the PBI files.
> 5) Changed the "Get Ports" function to do the full download, save the
> file, extract the file into "(home-dir)/EasyPBI/ports", and remove the
> downloaded file. I put a notice in that if the ports tree is not
> found, you should either install the system ports tree or use the 'Get
> Ports' option to retrieve the ports tree for the current user *only*.
> This way a standard user does not need to worry about root permissions
> before building PBI modules if they don't want to. When looking for
> the ports tree, it looks at /usr/ports first, and will always use that
> rather than the ~/EasyPBI/ports directory if both are found.
>
> I think that is about the bulk of it. I also discovered that there is
> an option in the pbi_makeport command that allows the selection of an
> alternate location for the ports directory when building PBI's. We
> should be able to use the EasyPBI/ports directory as well as the
> /usr/ports directory (depending on which is available) to make PBI's
> once we get to that point. At least now we are getting ready for it... :-)
>
> One thing that I noticed is that the in the pbi.conf of the resulting
> module, the PBI_MAKEPORT entry is not getting the category right all
> the time. For instance, "archivers/gzip" became "ore/gzip". Other than
> that, the only other thing I thought might be a good idea was to use
> [...]

Ken,

I agree with everything you posted here. Thanks for hacking away on this.

One problem I see here that I will have to fix is the underlying pbi.cpp
module always assumes a given port is in /usr/ports. In the past this
has been a fairly safe assumption, but since EasyPBI and pbi_makeport
can use different locations I'm going to correct this assumption.

Once that is done, I'll post another snapshot.

Jesse