[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] EasyPBI app, updated

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 29 13:50:03 PDT 2011

Fellow PBIians,

Thanks to Ken, his work and his helpful suggestions I present to you an
updated version of EasyPBI. Changes in this version include:

1. The interface has been cleaned up.
2. Modules and their archives are now stored in ~/EasyPBI-modules and
~/EasyPBI-modules/Modules respectively. This avoids clutter in the
user's home directory.
3. Some error checks have been added so we can let the user know if
building a module failed. And maybe why it failed.
4. When the user goes to select a new port to turn into a module,
EasyPBI will check to see if the ports tree is installed. If the ports
collection not installed the user is prompted to download the ports tree
using a new menu entry called Get Ports. This will download the ports
collection and open the archive manager. EasyPBI will then display a tip
on the status bar letting the user know where to unpack the tarball.

Alternatively, I support we could use the fetch command and unpack the
tarball, but any way we slice it we're going to run into permission
issues unpacking to /usr. I'm open to suggestions on a better way of
handling item 4. This approach seemed the most generic/Qt-ish.

If not serious problems show up with this version I'll upload it
somewhere and let people on the forum know the tool is available for
public testing.

Jesse