[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Easy-bake PBI modules

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Thu Oct 27 11:33:42 PDT 2011

On 10/27/11 13:14, Jesse Smith wrote:
> On 11-10-27 01:30 PM, Ken Moore wrote:
>> On 10/27/11 10:48, Jesse Smith wrote:
>>> Fellow PBIers,
>>>
>>> I believe I've come up with a tool which will make it much easier
>>> for non-developers to create PBI modules. The tool is simply named
>>> (I'm not feeling creative today) EasyPBI. It's a Qt-based graphical
>>> application which will create new PBI modules with just a few mouse
>>> clicks.
>>>
>>> Right now it's a little rough, the last time I did any real coding
>>> in Qt.... well, KDE 2.2 was considered current. At any rate, I'm
>>> attaching my first attempt here. To compile it you will need the Qt
>>> development libraries installed on your system.
>>>
>>> To compile EasyPBI, save the attached tar archive and run the
>>> following commands
>>>
>>> tar zxf EasyPBI-0.1.tar.gz
>>> cd EasyPBI
>>> qmake
>>> make
>>>
>>> Then run
>>> ./EasyPBI
>>>
>>> The interface is a small window which displays the key fields of a
>>> PBI module. At the bottom of the screen the app displays
>>> instructions for the user to follow. To start off, we go to the File
>>> menu and select New Module. We pick which port we want to build. The
>>> app tries to fill in as many fields as possible and prompts the user
>>> to fill in the blanks for us. Then the user hits the Create Module
>>> button at the bottom of the window. EasyPBI will then try to build
>>> the module and bundle it as a tar archive. Its last step is to
>>> notify the user that the module has been created and provides the
>>> location of the tarball and the pbi-dev mailing list address so
>>> users can submit their module.
>>>
>>> The app can be used to build several modules, one after another.
>>>
>>> Right now I'm thinking more instructions and an option to open then
>>> port's FreshPort's page would be a logical next step. Comments,
>>> suggestions are welcome.
>>>
>>> - Jesse

>> Jesse,
>> I just gave EasyPBI a whirl, and I must say that I am impressed! It
>> is still a bit rough, as you mentioned, but overall it is a nice
>> interface for a "casual" user to build a PBI module.
>> I have a couple suggestions here from my first use....
>>
>> GUI
>> -------
>> 1) Make use of the QT spacers to allow the GUI to dynamically fit to
>> the current size of the window.
>> 2) There is an extra bar under the "File" and "About" menus that I
>> can move around, but has no discernible purpose.
>> 3) A button to open up the freshports page for the selected port in
>> the default web browser might be a good idea (as you mentioned)
>>
>> Execution
>> ------------
>> 1) Instead of creating the modules in the home directory, I would
>> recommend the following folder/structure:
>>    1-a) Create a EasyPBI-modules/ directory in the home folder and
> [...]

Ok, here is are the modified "mainwindow.*" files. The GUI is now on a
grid layout with spacers (I.E. the user can now resize it with
impunity), I removed the unneccesary bar, and I added a button to open
the freshports.org page for the selected port. I wrote a quick check to
make sure a port is selected for the port_info_button, but I did not
actually have it open a web browser. The function to add that capability
to is at the bottom of the mainwindow.cpp file.
Oh, I also fixed a bug on quitting that caused a "bus error" on exit.
(see the destructor for mainwindow)

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

--
~ Ken Moore ~
PCBSD/iXsystems