[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Easy-bake PBI modules

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 27 07:48:35 PDT 2011

Fellow PBIers,

I believe I've come up with a tool which will make it much easier for
non-developers to create PBI modules. The tool is simply named (I'm not
feeling creative today) EasyPBI. It's a Qt-based graphical application
which will create new PBI modules with just a few mouse clicks.

Right now it's a little rough, the last time I did any real coding in
Qt.... well, KDE 2.2 was considered current. At any rate, I'm attaching
my first attempt here. To compile it you will need the Qt development
libraries installed on your system.

To compile EasyPBI, save the attached tar archive and run the following
commands

tar zxf EasyPBI-0.1.tar.gz
cd EasyPBI
qmake
make

Then run
./EasyPBI

The interface is a small window which displays the key fields of a PBI
module. At the bottom of the screen the app displays instructions for
the user to follow. To start off, we go to the File menu and select New
Module. We pick which port we want to build. The app tries to fill in as
many fields as possible and prompts the user to fill in the blanks for
us. Then the user hits the Create Module button at the bottom of the
window. EasyPBI will then try to build the module and bundle it as a tar
archive. Its last step is to notify the user that the module has been
created and provides the location of the tarball and the pbi-dev mailing
list address so users can submit their module.

The app can be used to build several modules, one after another.

Right now I'm thinking more instructions and an option to open then
port's FreshPort's page would be a logical next step. Comments,
suggestions are welcome.

- Jesse