[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Advice to speed up pbi-makeport

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Oct 12 12:14:39 PDT 2011

On 09/29/11 17:41, Scott Ullrich wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are in the middle of integrating PBI support into pfSense 2.1-dev
> and was wondering if anyone had advice on speeding up the building
> process for pbi-makeport.
>
> Our old system would loop through all of our needed ports and run
> make-package.   The new system loops through all the needed ports and
> runs: /usr/local/sbin/pbi_makeport -o /usr/ports/packages/All/
> category/portname
>
> The new system takes about 4 days to build whereas our old system took
> about 8 hours.
>
> Is there any way to speedup the chroot creation and destruction or do
> you have any other tips?
>
> How long does it take the PC-BSD crew to build all of the PBI's?
>
> Thanks in advance!

It does take a while to build PBIs, since the ports have to each be
rebuilt with a set LOCALBASE that differs for each. However I have just
committed some speedups to the build system:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/13321
http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/13322

Can you grab the latest from SVN and see if that helps your build times?
I'm testing this on our server as well, trying to speed it up a bit.