[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] All in one approach to modules

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Oct 3 09:59:32 PDT 2011

On 10/01/11 11:33, Jesse Smith wrote:
> We appear to be getting more requests for PBIs there days and it crossed
> my mind while looking at the latest list that maybe it would be worth it
> to just build a huge number of modules all at once.
>
> Aside from intimidating the over-worked quality assurance folks, is
> there any reason we can't just automate the creation of, say, the entire
> "www" and "deskutils" branches of the ports tree?
>
> It should be fairly simple to run a script to run pbimaker on a large
> group of ports and then upload the resulting modules to the build
> server. Granted, some PBIs won't build the first time around and some
> minor touch-ups might have to be done, but we could import hundreds of
> PBIs (many of which would probably work without issue) in one go.
>
> Before I go and make a few hundred PBI modules, does anyone have any
> objections to this idea?
>
> - Jesse

What you mention sounds like a good idea, however your method of looping
through a category needs to be fairly "smart" in order to only build
modules for actual programs and not libraries or data sets for other ports.
For example, the /usr/ports/games/ category is probably one of the best
categories to take this approach to, but if you browse through that
category on freshports, you will see that a number of the ports are
simply data for a game/program, and not the actual program. This problem
gets much worse as you start to look at some of the other categories.
You also will have to distinguish which programs are text-based or
servers as opposed to graphical applications so that you are (or are
not) creating desktop/menu entries for the program. Even after all that,
you will still have to go through each module individually to set the
proper icons, register mime types, etc.

In other words, it would be great if you could pull it off, but there is
so much to the module building process that requires a personal touch
that I am uncertain you will be able to find a way to automatically
produce them.

One thing I do recommend before trying is that before mass-producing
modules with pbimaker, you might want to check and make sure that the
pbimaker format for 9.x modules is up to date. There have been a few
changes recently, and the latest (and hopefully final) format for the
9.x PBI modules is up on the wiki
(http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/PBI_Module_Builder_Guide#Module_Components).
Specifically, I caught a few modules recently that were missing the
PBI_MAKEPORT line in pbi.conf and you might want to make sure that it is
being put in by pbimaker.

Thanks Jesse!

~Ken Moore
PCBSD/iXsystems