[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] All in one approach to modules

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Sat Oct 1 08:33:51 PDT 2011

We appear to be getting more requests for PBIs there days and it crossed
my mind while looking at the latest list that maybe it would be worth it
to just build a huge number of modules all at once.

Aside from intimidating the over-worked quality assurance folks, is
there any reason we can't just automate the creation of, say, the entire
"www" and "deskutils" branches of the ports tree?

It should be fairly simple to run a script to run pbimaker on a large
group of ports and then upload the resulting modules to the build
server. Granted, some PBIs won't build the first time around and some
minor touch-ups might have to be done, but we could import hundreds of
PBIs (many of which would probably work without issue) in one go.

Before I go and make a few hundred PBI modules, does anyone have any
objections to this idea?

- Jesse