[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Will EasyPBI be included in 9 ?

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Tue Nov 29 06:48:06 PST 2011

On 11/25/11 16:03, Jesse Smith wrote:
> On 11-11-25 04:20 PM, Brice ERRANDONEA wrote:
>>
>> Having built a few applications with EasyPBI, I can say it's a great
>> tool. I think it would be a good thing to include it in PC-BSD 9.
>>
>> Besides helping to feed the AppCafé, it will also be very useful for
>> any user : when the software they want is not in the AppCafé,
>> a few clicks are enough to build the PBI they want with EasyPBI. It
>> takes long to build each one but not longer than building them
>> from ports in the Portjail. Creating the portjail, understand its
>> purpose, understand how it works, what ports are, what "make install
>> clean" means,
>> and what to do with compilation options is quite difficult for a
>> newbie. Using EasyPBI to obtain the same application is, by far,
>> easier. And
>> there will no longer be any problem to connect the application in the
>> jail to the X server on the main system.
>>

> I'm hoping EasyPBI will soon be available for PC-BSD 9 users via the
> AppCafe. I submitted EasyPBI to the FreeBSD ports collection a few
> weeks ago. Assuming it passes inspection and becomes a port in FreeBSD
> then we can easily make a PBI for EasyPBI and include it in the
> AppCafe. Right now I'm just waiting on the Ports team to approve the
> application.
>
> You can follow EasyPBI's progress through the Ports process here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/162341
>
> - Jesse

There are not any plans to include EasyPBI within the PC-BSD
distribution at this time. I just talked to Kris about this yesterday,
and we both agree that EasyPBI is probably better as an available PBI
rather than a built-in program. This means that the PC-BSD team does not
have to debug and support a forked version of EasyPBI, allowing Jesse
and myself to make changes to EasyPBI without worrying about what
version is currently included with a particular PC-BSD release.
If you have any other thoughts on it, I would be interested to hear them!