[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Will EasyPBI be included in 9 ?

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 25 13:03:40 PST 2011

On 11-11-25 04:20 PM, Brice ERRANDONEA wrote:

> Having built a few applications with EasyPBI, I can say it's a great
> tool. I think it would be a good thing to include it in PC-BSD 9.
>
> Besides helping to feed the AppCafé, it will also be very useful for
> any user : when the software they want is not in the AppCafé,
> a few clicks are enough to build the PBI they want with EasyPBI. It
> takes long to build each one but not longer than building them
> from ports in the Portjail. Creating the portjail, understand its
> purpose, understand how it works, what ports are, what "make install
> clean" means,
> and what to do with compilation options is quite difficult for a
> newbie. Using EasyPBI to obtain the same application is, by far,
> easier. And
> there will no longer be any problem to connect the application in the
> jail to the X server on the main system.

I'm hoping EasyPBI will soon be available for PC-BSD 9 users via the
AppCafe. I submitted EasyPBI to the FreeBSD ports collection a few weeks
ago. Assuming it passes inspection and becomes a port in FreeBSD then we
can easily make a PBI for EasyPBI and include it in the AppCafe. Right
now I'm just waiting on the Ports team to approve the application.

You can follow EasyPBI's progress through the Ports process here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/162341

- Jesse