[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] EasyPBI

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Nov 7 09:28:15 PST 2011

On 11/06/11 21:42, Tigersharke . wrote:
> Yessirree, I suggested "guess GUI"..
>
> I've tried the new v0.4 (within KDE on 64bit v9.0rc1) and it is
> impressive.
>
> Various things:
>
>  1. The scrollable region where the process output is displayed should
>     resize if the entire window gets resized.

Fixed!

>  1. Add some way to expose the port options given via "make config"
>     for adjustment, and those chosen options perhaps automatically
>     added to its PBI filename or something- thinking of how one port
>     may have two distinctly built versions.
>  2. How does it handle multiple icons? Examples are games which have a
>     server and a client, or Quassel with its three options that create
>     either a Monolithic, Client, Core, or any combination of them.

These two are really for more advanced module-making. (I.E. edit the
module manually to change these things.)  For instance: in the module's
pbi.conf, PBI_MAKEOPTS=" " should be edited with the configuration
options desired. This is difficult to do in a GUI because (almost) every
port has a completely different set of options (if any at all). This is
why we link to the freshports page for the selected port so that the
user can see any options that are available and set them manually after
the generic module is created. Similarly, you can put multiple icons in
the module's "resources" directory and then set different desktop/menu
entries (in the xdg-desktop or xdg-menu directories) to use different
icons if desired. Again, because of the unknown nature of the number of
different binaries that need desktop/menu entries, we are just using a
"one icon fits all" approach for the generic module, and let the
advanced module builder change the icons by hand later.

>  1. Would a third tab containing aspects of a local repo (ie,
>     configure and list contents) be a useful addition, or ought it be
>     a part of something else?

I am thinking that this is a separate issue, and could be addressed in a
different program.

>  1. Its finally occurred to me at least one possible thing that could
>     be assumed if using a standard ports tree- The category the PBI
>     would belong to. I'm sure there are other things.. when they hit
>     me in the head I'll let you know.

This is already accounted for in the program, but I went ahead and added
a notification on the module building page as to which port is currently
selected (category/portname).

> Thanks for all your (everyone involved) efforts

Thanks for your advice/suggestions!