[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] New EasyPBI

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Wed Nov 2 09:05:21 PDT 2011

On 11-11-02 12:34 PM, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 11/02/11 02:07, Tigersharke . wrote:
>> Hello..
>>
>> I would make these suggestions:
>>
>>   * At initial start or after reset, Dim/Grey-out and/or set
>>     'inactive' the fields and buttons.
>>
> I will look into doing this a little later. It takes quite a bit to
> ensure that all the buttons are enabled at the proper times.... :-)
>>
>>   * Remove the superfluous popup error messages due to clicking
>>     buttons at initial start or after reset.
>>
> This has changed quite a bit, try out the new version and see if it is
> any better.
>>
>>  *
>>

>>   * Pre-fill the icon value with "defaulticon.png", but
>>     dimmed/inactive at initial start/reset. (GUI as default is
>>     pre-checked).
>>
> I prefer that the icon chosen is empty initially as this provides a
> clean interface on startup. When you select a port to build a module
> for, then it sets the icon to defaulticon.png.
>>
>>   * Values that cannot be changed once filled-in automatically,
>>     should not be editable (such as the port name) and the value
>>     instead be displayed in simple bold text.
>>
> Fixed!
>>
>>   * In addition to highlighting the standard ports location, expand
>>     it one level further (showing accessibility, archivers, arabic..
>>     etc).
>>
> It looks like that is how the Qt directory retrieval dialog works, by
> not expanding the starting directory. To get around this I set the
> starting directory one level deeper (ports/accessibility) so that it
> is initially expanded.
>>
>>   * Possiblity of a "guess at GUI", due to certain dependencies,
>>     libraries, or other attributes of the port chosen.
>>
> I think this is a good idea, that way the user is informed as to what
> type of app the selected port is determined to be.
>>
>>   * If the standard ports tree is used/chosen (easily known due to
>>     its proper path) other assumptions and checks (idiot-proofing)
>>     can be made.
>>

> Let me know what types of checks you are thinking about, and we can
> work something out!
>> I like the method of traversing the ports tree to locate the port.
>> This may be slightly tedious, but its a good way to relate to the
>> ports tree, and certainly a nice touch to be able to paste the path
>> (such as one obtained from a browse of freshports.org
>> <http://freshports.org>).
>>
>> I am using KDE with 64bit v9.0rc1, EasyPBI v0.3..
>>
>> ERROR:
>>
>>   * If after initial start or reset, the GUI checkbox is clicked (to
>>     remove the tick) EasyPBI immediately crashes with a seg fault.
>>
> Jesse, the error comes from trying to change pbi_data->console_app.
> You might want to check how your structure is defined and make sure it
> is a public variable.
>>
>>   * If a port is chosen, then the fields are all reset, the message
>>     does not revert to "To get started, please select "New Module"
>>     from the file menu."
>>
> Fixed!

> [...]

Ken,

For some reason I'm unable to open the tarball you sent with your
changes. Could you re package it or send over a patch file, please?

Regarding th segfault, it turned out to be a simple fix. There wasn't
any check to make sure pbi_data had been initialized so if it was still
NULL the app would crash. I just added an "if!pbi_data) return;" to the
top of the function.

Jesse