[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] New EasyPBI

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Wed Nov 2 08:34:15 PDT 2011

On 11/02/11 02:07, Tigersharke . wrote:
> Hello..
>
> I would make these suggestions:
>
>   * At initial start or after reset, Dim/Grey-out and/or set
>     'inactive' the fields and buttons.

I will look into doing this a little later. It takes quite a bit to
ensure that all the buttons are enabled at the proper times.... :-)

>   * Remove the superfluous popup error messages due to clicking
>     buttons at initial start or after reset.

This has changed quite a bit, try out the new version and see if it is
any better.

>  *
>

>   * Pre-fill the icon value with "defaulticon.png", but
>     dimmed/inactive at initial start/reset. (GUI as default is
>     pre-checked).

I prefer that the icon chosen is empty initially as this provides a
clean interface on startup. When you select a port to build a module
for, then it sets the icon to defaulticon.png.

>   * Values that cannot be changed once filled-in automatically, should
>     not be editable (such as the port name) and the value instead be
>     displayed in simple bold text.

Fixed!

>   * In addition to highlighting the standard ports location, expand it
>     one level further (showing accessibility, archivers, arabic.. etc).

It looks like that is how the Qt directory retrieval dialog works, by
not expanding the starting directory. To get around this I set the
starting directory one level deeper (ports/accessibility) so that it is
initially expanded.

>   * Possiblity of a "guess at GUI", due to certain dependencies,
>     libraries, or other attributes of the port chosen.

I think this is a good idea, that way the user is informed as to what
type of app the selected port is determined to be.

>   * If the standard ports tree is used/chosen (easily known due to its
>     proper path) other assumptions and checks (idiot-proofing) can be
>     made.

Let me know what types of checks you are thinking about, and we can work
something out!
> I like the method of traversing the ports tree to locate the port.
> This may be slightly tedious, but its a good way to relate to the
> ports tree, and certainly a nice touch to be able to paste the path
> (such as one obtained from a browse of freshports.org
> <http://freshports.org>).
>
> I am using KDE with 64bit v9.0rc1, EasyPBI v0.3..
>
> ERROR:
>
>   * If after initial start or reset, the GUI checkbox is clicked (to
>     remove the tick) EasyPBI immediately crashes with a seg fault.

Jesse, the error comes from trying to change pbi_data->console_app. You
might want to check how your structure is defined and make sure it is a
public variable.

>   * If a port is chosen, then the fields are all reset, the message
>     does not revert to "To get started, please select "New Module"
>     from the file menu."

Fixed!