[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] New EasyPBI

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Tue Nov 1 13:17:25 PDT 2011

On 11/01/11 12:32, Jesse Smith wrote:
> On 11-11-01 01:20 PM, Ken Moore wrote:
>> On 10/31/11 18:43, Jesse Smith wrote:
>>> I have made some improvements to EasyPBI. As per Ken's suggestion,
>>> EasyPBI will now try to locate the defaulticon.png file if it can't
>>> figure out any better icon for the port. EasyPBI searches for this
>>> default icon in the current working directory and, if it's not
>>> there, it will check PREFIX/share/pbimaker/
>>>
>>> The underlying library has been updated so it no longer assumes
>>> ports are kept in /usr/ports. We should now be able to work with a
>>> port tree in any location. So if the user downloads the ports tree
>>> using EasyPBI, we can now work with ports under the user's home.
>>> This removes the last "root requirement".
>>>
>>> The latest version is attached. If it works okay, I'll submit an
>>> updated PBIMaker and EasyPBI to FreeBSD's ports collection.
>>>
>>> - Jesse

>> Jesse,
>> I just ran EasyPBI to make games/alienblaster, then ran pbi_makport
>> on the module and it built/worked perfectly! I think it is about
>> ready for release.
>>
>> BTW, I am also working on a GUI for EasyPBI to actually run
>> pbi_makeport (with appropriate options) once I get it to semi-working
>> condition, I will send it to you. The only issue that I have seen is
>> that pbi_makeport *requires* root permissions to run. At least it
>> should be the only part of the program that does.... :-)
>> --
>> ~~ Ken Moore ~~
>> PC-BSD/iXsystems
>>

> Ken,
>
> For the parts of the program which involve building the PBI package
> itself, may I recommend having a separate menu for that? Maybe put a
> "Build" menu between the File and About entries? Then we could have
> options like "Build PBI" "Install PBI" "Remove PBI".
>
> While I'm thinking about it EasyPBI should probably have a house
> cleaning option to remove old modules, tarballs and the local ports
> tree. I'll put those on my to-do list.
>
> Jesse

What I have done so far is to create 2 tabs within the application, the
first one being the "Create Modules" tab, and the second the "Build PBI"
tab. By doing this, we can keep each part of the program separate as
much as possible. I have also been streamlining the initial start of the
program, so that when it starts is when it does all the checks for
whether the EasyPBI directory structure is available, and create it if
it is not, as well as setting all the default paths and variables. I
also added a PROGVERSION variable, so that it should be much easier to
change all the locations that the version number is displayed.
I am getting close to finishing this revision, (might finish tomorrow
sometime) and I will send it you then.