[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] PBI module for LibreOffice - with some glitch

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Mar 14 08:17:56 PDT 2011

On 03/12/11 09:40, Ken Moore wrote:
> On 03/12/2011 06:02, Sam Lin wrote:
>> This is a follow-up report regarding the LibreOffice on PCBSD. In this
>> report three versions of LO are involved:
>>
>> 1. My own LO 3.3.0_4, the very first LO pbi built with my draft module
>> (aka MyBuild),
>> 2. LO 3.3.0_4 obtained from pbibuild.pcbsd.org
>> <http://pbibuild.pcbsd.org> which was built after I submitted my
>> module (noted as "ServerBuild" hereafter), and
>> 3. LO 3.3.1 downloaded from pbidir this morning.
>>
>> Here is the report with some quick reviews regarding each of the builds:
>>
>> 1. MyBuild was built with my draft pbi module which is amended from
>> that for OpenOffice 3.2.1. The produced pbi sized 146.1MB. No
>> issue/error occurred during the 22 hours of build process on my 7 year
>> old laptop. The following configuration options in accordance with
>> http://www.freshports.org/editors/libreoffice/ were applied:
>>
>> WEBDAV=off (default) "Support webdav protocol"
>> CUPS=on (default) "Support cups for printing"
>> KDE4=on "With Qt4/KDE4 vclplug support"
>> GNOME=off (default) "Better integration in gnome environnement"
>> JAVA=off (default) "Add Java support (XML Filters, macros)"
>>
>> Note that "KDE4=" is toggled from the default "off "to "on" here,
>> hoping to render a better integration with KDE4 in PCBSD 8.x. Also the
>> following option was added due to its dependency on Python according
>> to http://www.freshports.org/editors/libreoffice/:
>>
>> PBIPRUNEPYTHON="NO"; export PBIPRUNEPYTHON
>>
>> Although the produced PBI worked, it appeared not well integrated in
>> KDE4's style. The interface in fact looks much more like that of KDE3.
>> Several screenshots in comparison with OpenOffice 3.2.1 were given in
>> Feb 24th's pbi-dev mailing list. The integration issue was also
>> reported along with the screenshots.
>>
>> 2. Not knowing why MyBuild did not look integrated, Kris committed my
>> module and tried use the same make options the pbibuild server uses on OO:
>>
>> WITH_CUPS=yes
>> WITHOUT_GNOMEVFS=yes
>> WITHOUT_MOZILLA=yes
>> WITH_KDE4=yes
>>
>> and gave it a run through. The produced LO 3.3.0_4 PBI sized 336.0MB,
>> for unknown reason it's more than twice as large in the file size as
>> MyBuild (146.1MB)! The interface of ServerBuild does not look much
>> more integrated than MyBuild - for some aspects it appears slightly
>> integrated but overvall it obviously is still much worse than
>> OpenOffice (in attached screenshots from top-left, top-right and then
>> bottom are OO.o3.2.1, MyBuild (LO3304) and ServerBuild (LO3304),
>> respectively). The response (or rendering?) of ServerBuild is
>> chaotically sluggish - click on and hover the mouse cursor around tool
>> menu bar shall give you an idea what I mean by this (an example
>> screenshot also attached). Hovering on some icons (e.g. the bottom
>> left 3 icons in the start screen) and you shall see the icons blink
>> before they "settle down", which also suggests the ServerBuild's
> [...]

I've also been running LibreOffice 3.3.1 on the CURRENT snapshots, and
it seems just fine, no slow-downs that I can think of. Visually it looks
the same as my regular open-office does.

Is there anything unique to your setup Sam that I could do to try and
replicate these issues? Do you have any extra port / WM stuff installed?