[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] PBI module for LibreOffice - with some glitch

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Sat Mar 12 06:40:18 PST 2011

On 03/12/2011 06:02, Sam Lin wrote:
> This is a follow-up report regarding the LibreOffice on PCBSD. In this
> report three versions of LO are involved:
>
> 1. My own LO 3.3.0_4, the very first LO pbi built with my draft module
> (aka MyBuild),
> 2. LO 3.3.0_4 obtained from pbibuild.pcbsd.org
> <http://pbibuild.pcbsd.org> which was built after I submitted my
> module (noted as "ServerBuild" hereafter), and
> 3. LO 3.3.1 downloaded from pbidir this morning.
>
> Here is the report with some quick reviews regarding each of the builds:
>
> 1. MyBuild was built with my draft pbi module which is amended from
> that for OpenOffice 3.2.1. The produced pbi sized 146.1MB. No
> issue/error occurred during the 22 hours of build process on my 7 year
> old laptop. The following configuration options in accordance with
> http://www.freshports.org/editors/libreoffice/ were applied:
>
> WEBDAV=off (default) "Support webdav protocol"
> CUPS=on (default) "Support cups for printing"
> KDE4=on  "With Qt4/KDE4 vclplug support"
> GNOME=off (default) "Better integration in gnome environnement"
> JAVA=off (default) "Add Java support (XML Filters, macros)"
>
> Note that "KDE4=" is toggled from the default "off "to "on" here,
> hoping to render a better integration with KDE4 in PCBSD 8.x. Also the
> following option was added due to its dependency on Python according
> to http://www.freshports.org/editors/libreoffice/:
>
> PBIPRUNEPYTHON="NO"; export PBIPRUNEPYTHON
>
> Although the produced PBI worked, it appeared not well integrated in
> KDE4's style. The interface in fact looks much more like that of KDE3.
> Several screenshots in comparison with OpenOffice 3.2.1 were given in
> Feb 24th's pbi-dev mailing list. The integration issue was also
> reported along with the screenshots.
>
> 2. Not knowing why MyBuild did not look integrated, Kris committed my
> module and tried use the same make options the pbibuild server uses on OO:
>
> WITH_CUPS=yes
> WITHOUT_GNOMEVFS=yes
> WITHOUT_MOZILLA=yes
> WITH_KDE4=yes
>
> and gave it a run through. The produced LO 3.3.0_4 PBI sized 336.0MB,
> for unknown reason it's more than twice as large in the file size as
> MyBuild (146.1MB)! The interface of ServerBuild does not look much
> more integrated than MyBuild - for some aspects it appears slightly
> integrated but overvall it obviously is still much worse than
> OpenOffice (in attached screenshots from top-left, top-right and then
> bottom are OO.o3.2.1, MyBuild (LO3304) and ServerBuild (LO3304),
> respectively). The response (or rendering?) of ServerBuild is
> chaotically sluggish - click on and hover the mouse cursor around tool
> menu bar shall give you an idea what I mean by this (an example
> screenshot also attached). Hovering on some icons (e.g. the bottom
> left 3 icons in the start screen) and you shall see the icons blink
> before they "settle down", which also suggests the ServerBuild's
> [...]

Sam,

I have just finished comparing LibreOffice 3.3.1 and OpenOffice 3.2.1
(both downloaded with the software manager). I am unable to reproduce
this slowness that you described in LibreOffice. I also verified that
both LibreOffice and OpenOffice have nearly identical visual effects and
integration within KDE. Whether this is a KDE3 or KDE4 integration I
cannot speak to, but it appears to match my desktop theme fairly well
without appearing "old".

As such, I do not see a reason to remove LibreOffice from pbidir at this
time. If you find an error that I
can reproduce, I will consider removing the PBI.

~Ken Moore