[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] PBI module for LibreOffice - with some glitch

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 03:02:52 PST 2011

This is a follow-up report regarding the LibreOffice on PCBSD. In this
report three versions of LO are involved:

1. My own LO 3.3.0_4, the very first LO pbi built with my draft module (aka
MyBuild),
2. LO 3.3.0_4 obtained from pbibuild.pcbsd.org which was built after I
submitted my module (noted as "ServerBuild" hereafter), and
3. LO 3.3.1 downloaded from pbidir this morning.

Here is the report with some quick reviews regarding each of the builds:

1. MyBuild was built with my draft pbi module which is amended from that for
OpenOffice 3.2.1. The produced pbi sized 146.1MB. No issue/error occurred
during the 22 hours of build process on my 7 year old laptop. The following
configuration options in accordance with
http://www.freshports.org/editors/libreoffice/ were applied:

WEBDAV=off (default) "Support webdav protocol"
CUPS=on (default) "Support cups for printing"
KDE4=on  "With Qt4/KDE4 vclplug support"
GNOME=off (default) "Better integration in gnome environnement"
JAVA=off (default) "Add Java support (XML Filters, macros)"

Note that "KDE4=" is toggled from the default "off "to "on" here, hoping to
render a better integration with KDE4 in PCBSD 8.x. Also the following
option was added due to its dependency on Python according to
http://www.freshports.org/editors/libreoffice/:

PBIPRUNEPYTHON="NO"; export PBIPRUNEPYTHON

Although the produced PBI worked, it appeared not well integrated in KDE4's
style. The interface in fact looks much more like that of KDE3. Several
screenshots in comparison with OpenOffice 3.2.1 were given in Feb 24th's
pbi-dev mailing list. The integration issue was also reported along with the
screenshots.

2. Not knowing why MyBuild did not look integrated, Kris committed my module
and tried use the same make options the pbibuild server uses on OO:

WITH_CUPS=yes
WITHOUT_GNOMEVFS=yes
WITHOUT_MOZILLA=yes
WITH_KDE4=yes

and gave it a run through. The produced LO 3.3.0_4 PBI sized 336.0MB, for
unknown reason it's more than twice as large in the file size as MyBuild
(146.1MB)! The interface of ServerBuild does not look much more integrated
than MyBuild - for some aspects it appears slightly integrated but overvall
it obviously is still much worse than OpenOffice (in attached screenshots
from top-left, top-right and then bottom are OO.o3.2.1, MyBuild (LO3304) and
ServerBuild (LO3304), respectively). The response (or rendering?) of
ServerBuild is chaotically sluggish - click on and hover the mouse cursor
around tool menu bar shall give you an idea what I mean by this (an example
screenshot also attached). Hovering on some icons (e.g. the bottom left 3
icons in the start screen) and you shall see the icons blink before they
"settle down", which also suggests the ServerBuild's sluggishness and
OpenOffice 3.2.1's smoothness. The ServerBuild also crashed when I attempted
to open a .odt file. Concluding that I was unable to use this build for my
work, I left ServerBuild in my system intact and have been preparing to
report the issues of LO as well as some issues of PCBSD 8.2 (to be reported
later) for the last few days. Meanwhile I just kept using OpenOffice for my
work.

3. This morning Update Manager informed me that LO 3.3.1 was available, so I
uninstalled the previous ServerBuild (LO 3.3.0_4) and then installed LO
3.3.1. This LO331 was manually downloaded from pbidir.com because download
thru Update Manager failed, presumably this is because LO331 has not been
mirrored to all mirror sites in the world yet. The file size is 336.7MB,
slightly bigger than ServerBuild. The module and their configurations appear
identical to those of ServerBuild, according to
http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pbibuild/modules/editors/libreoffice?rev=9595&order=name
.

Like ServerBuild (LO3304), the interface in this LO331 still appeared not
integrated with KDE4. The response is also as sluggish as ServerBuild
(LO3304). While opening a .odt does not crash in this build, I immediately
recognised some issues e.g. extremely slow in scrolling across pages. Note
that the crash and sluggishness does not occur in MyBuild (LO3304).

Some afterthoughts:

1. At this stage I wouldn't say LibreOffice PBI is ready to go public, and I
suggest LO removed from pbidir.com until at least the sluggishness is
solved.

2. It's probably worth try my first configuration options rather than those
for OO to build LO. From what I have tried among MyBuild (LO3304 using my
conf options), ServerBuild (LO3304 using OO's conf options) and LO331 (using
OO's conf options) I think the conf option is the first step to solve the
sluggishness.

3. As for the integration issue, it seems this is not PCBSD/PBI side's
problem. Other distributions seem to have some sort of problem with KDE4
integration:

http://en.opensuse.org/LibreOffice#Troubleshooting
https://features.opensuse.org/311353

Perhaps we should leave "KDE4=off" as is default at this stage.

Regards,

Sam