[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Java JDK port and Eclipse

Dru Lavigne drulavigne at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 8 12:43:29 PST 2011

> > The port is marked as Restricted due to licensing restrictions. Even
> > the Foundation won't be making an 8.x distributable version as OpenJDK
> > does not have any restrictions. Will the port build with openjdk
> > instead?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dru
>

> I suspect (though I'm not certain) OpenJDK would work. From what I've
> seen OpenJDK seems to be up to par. Should we be looking at patching the
> port during our build process or trying to get the port itself changed?
> The latter seems like a better long-term solution, but I suspect it
> would take more time.

The Foundation discussed this at their latest board meeting and someone is looking into how difficult it would be to have ports use openjdk instead of jdk by default. I suspect that this will be a process that will take some time for both discussion and implementation. In the mean time, you could try adding:

JAVA_VENDOR openjdk

to the Makefile. The list of possible java values are here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/using-java.html#JAVA-VARIABLES

Kris, if that fixes the compile, will that confuse the PBI build server?

Cheers,

Dru