[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Java JDK port and Eclipse

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Tue Mar 8 12:05:09 PST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca>
To: jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca, pbi-dev at lists.pcbsd.org
Subject: RE: [PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Java JDK port and Eclipse
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:51:08 +0000

> Recently there have been a few requests for PBI modules with Java
> dependencies, specifically the dependency java/jdk16. This port
doesn't
> build on my machine and a check at FreshPorts shows the port as being
> marked as "Forbidden / Broken / Ignore / Restricted".
>
> Now I noticed we already have a PBI for Eclipse on the build server
and
> Eclipse uses JDK. Does this mean there's a way around the broken port,
> or was the Eclipse module build before JDK was marked a broken?

> Jesse,
>
> The port is marked as Restricted due to licensing restrictions. Even
> the Foundation won't be making an 8.x distributable version as OpenJDK
> does not have any restrictions. Will the port build with openjdk
> instead?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dru

I suspect (though I'm not certain) OpenJDK would work. From what I've
seen OpenJDK seems to be up to par. Should we be looking at patching the
port during our build process or trying to get the port itself changed?
The latter seems like a better long-term solution, but I suspect it
would take more time.

- Jesse