[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] PBI Builder on multi-core?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jun 20 07:40:55 PDT 2011

On 06/18/2011 02:55, Sam Lin wrote:
> Hi Kris, PBIian and PCBSD folks,
>
> As some of you may have noticed, I have been away from PCBSD work for
> the last few months. This is mainly because I have moved to a new
> place for a new job and have been very busy here and couldn't bother
> any FLOSS activity at all (pbi, translation, documentation, forum,
> etc), but also partly because my own (old) laptop appears to become
> unstable since my last build of LibreOffice PBI and I now have to use
> our company's laptop (based on MS Vista) to get to internet including
> writing this email at home. Having been settled down a bit in this new
> place, I am planning to buy a new desktop system within the next
> couple months so that I can re-start my PCBSD work.
>
> I am planning to get an AMD 1090T (hexa core) machine and below are my
> candidates:
>
> ATI:
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-384226795.htm
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-383037342.htm
>
> NVIDIA:
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-385068653.htm
>
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-384475132.htm
>

> I wonder if PBI Builder would be benefit from multi-core (e.g. build
> one pbi on each core etc.)?
>
> Also (I know this question is not really relevant to this mailing
> list) among ATI and NVIDIA graphic systems which one is preferred on
> FreeBSD/PCBSD in terms of performance and stability? I don't really
> want any trouble due to graphic board during working on PBI or other
> heavy tasks.
>

> Kind regards,
> Sam

Go NVIDIA every time :)

The newer ATI cards don't work well, if at all on BSD, and the NVIDIA
drivers will often give you the least amount of trouble.

As for multi-core, yes it does help when building PBIs. A lot of port
builds use multiple threads / jobs now, so the extra cores will benefit
you in this case.