[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] PBI Builder on multi-core?

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 23:55:22 PDT 2011

Hi Kris, PBIian and PCBSD folks,

As some of you may have noticed, I have been away from PCBSD work for the
last few months. This is mainly because I have moved to a new place for a
new job and have been very busy here and couldn't bother any FLOSS activity
at all (pbi, translation, documentation, forum, etc), but also partly
because my own (old) laptop appears to become unstable since my last build
of LibreOffice PBI and I now have to use our company's laptop (based on MS
Vista) to get to internet including writing this email at home. Having been
settled down a bit in this new place, I am planning to buy a new desktop
system within the next couple months so that I can re-start my PCBSD work.

I am planning to get an AMD 1090T (hexa core) machine and below are my
candidates:

ATI:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-384226795.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-383037342.htm

NVIDIA:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-385068653.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Desktops/No-monitor/auction-384475132.htm

I wonder if PBI Builder would be benefit from multi-core (e.g. build one pbi
on each core etc.)?

Also (I know this question is not really relevant to this mailing list)
among ATI and NVIDIA graphic systems which one is preferred on FreeBSD/PCBSD
in terms of performance and stability? I don't really want any trouble due
to graphic board during working on PBI or other heavy tasks.

Kind regards,
Sam