[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] pbibuild without portsnap - is it possible?

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 22:28:22 PST 2011

Jesse,

I cannot see why I would make a PBI package only one time for my own use
when I can share the PBI package with other people by, say, putting a
validated module on pbiDIR :)   One-time pBI package may make some sense if
this is only for testing but in the long run I think we still need to pack
its module. For instance I am currently building LibreOffice, of which the
PBI does not exist on pbiDIR and I believe it is *much* more meaningful to
pack its module so that other PCBSD users can also get LibreOffice PBI from
pbiDIR rather than to build the package only for my own use.  (Besides, I
recently got an email from a PCBSD user asking whether or not PCBSD will
provide LO in future - if not then he will permanently shift to Gentoo
Linux, so I still have to make its module and use PBIbuilder to affirm that
the module files work properly anyway) .

The draft module and the PBI product of the trial build seem promising so
far, although it takes more than 18 hours to build LO on my old lappy...
Just need to polish up some of the module files and give it another build...

Sam