[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Pbi-dev Digest, Vol 46, Issue 10

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Feb 14 09:03:42 PST 2011

On 02/14/2011 09:05, Kris Moore wrote:

> On 02/13/2011 03:11, Sam Lin wrote:
>> On 19 January 2011 09:00,<pbi-dev-request at lists.pcbsd.org
>> <mailto:pbi-dev-request at lists.pcbsd.org>>  wrote:
>>
>>      Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:12:04 -0500
>>      From: Kris Moore<kris at pcbsd.org<mailto:kris at pcbsd.org>>
>>      To: pbi-dev at lists.pcbsd.org<mailto:pbi-dev at lists.pcbsd.org>,
>>      Fabrizio Parrella<fabrizio at bibivu.com<mailto:fabrizio at bibivu.com>>,
>>             Ken Moore<ken at pcbsd.org<mailto:ken at pcbsd.org>>
>>      Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Pbi-dev] pbidir suggestion
>>
>>      On 01/15/2011 20:48, Sam Lin wrote:
>>      >  Hi -
>>      >
>>      >  Some suggestions regarding improving pbiDIR (both pbidir.com
>>      <http://pbidir.com>  and
>>      >  Software Browser, and perhaps the Kickoff Application Launcher too).
>>      >
>>      >  1. It would be helpful for users to use additional keywords to search
>>      >  the pbi database as some ports (hence their PBIs) are quite hard to
>>      >  find solely with its name. For instance, if I need math/R and enter
>>      >  "R" on pbidir.com<http://pbidir.com>, it will give me a long list
>>      of pbi which contains
>>      >  this character whereas the exact PBI "R" locates in the middle of the
>>      >  fifth page. If I try the same search in Software Browser, the Browser
>>      >  also gives me a long list with everything contains the character "r"
>>      >  but then clicking on the next page will give me a message "No PBI
>>      >  found for your search criteria" which then switch back to its homepage
>>      >  within a second or two. Like this, it's sometimes almost impossible to
>>      >  dig out the buried PBI unless you know in what category that PBI is
>>      >  located. In our example, it is under "Math" but I wouldn't surprise if
>>      >  others thought it's under "Educational", "Office" or even
>>      >  "Development".
>>      >
>>      >  To make pbidir easier to use, it would be good to allow users search
>>      >  for PBIs with additional options... perhaps something like what
>>      >  freebsd.org/ports<http://freebsd.org/ports>  or freshports provide.
>>      >
>>      >  2. Another thing is that I think the structure of pbidir and that of
>>      >  "Application" in KDE4 need to be re-organised as sometimes it is a bit
>>      >  confusing when a specific PBI is required. Let's take the previously
>>      >  stated R as example again. The statistical package is under the
>>      >  category "math" in the FreeBSD port tree, and under "Mathematics" in
>>      >  pbidir, whereas it was under "Utilities" in PCBSD kickoff Application
>>      >  Launcher (I should have made this PBI installed under
>>      >  "Education/Mathematics" when I first made the module; this is now
>>      >  fixed), but the point is that we need to find a way to sort
>>      >  out the possible inconsistency in the location of an application in
>>      >  FreeBSD port tree/pbidir/Kickoff Launcher. Another confusing example
>>      >  is Emacs - this is listed in "editors", "ipv6" and many other
> [...]
Sam,
I am unable to see any icons on pbidir that are broken (I even checked
opera and it looks fine here). Could you send me a list of the ones that
you said are broken? Also, I know that there are a couple icons that are
not the standard 64x64 png, but they are hard to track down unless you
check each individual pbi, so if you see one of these please send that
to me as well.

As an aside, I finished changing all the categories over to the freebsd
ports tree format last week (except for the education category, which is
just a few programs separate from the games category, which I think I
will leave for now), so that should help standardize the program locations.

PC-BSD/IXsystems
(ken at pcbsd.org)