[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Pbi-dev Digest, Vol 46, Issue 10

Sam Lin semin2006 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 00:11:26 PST 2011

On 19 January 2011 09:00,  <pbi-dev-request at lists.pcbsd.org> wrote:

> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:12:04 -0500
> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
> To: pbi-dev at lists.pcbsd.org, Fabrizio Parrella <fabrizio at bibivu.com>,
>        Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org>
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Pbi-dev] pbidir suggestion
>
> On 01/15/2011 20:48, Sam Lin wrote:
> > Hi -
> >
> > Some suggestions regarding improving pbiDIR (both pbidir.com and
> > Software Browser, and perhaps the Kickoff Application Launcher too).
> >
> > 1. It would be helpful for users to use additional keywords to search
> > the pbi database as some ports (hence their PBIs) are quite hard to
> > find solely with its name. For instance, if I need math/R and enter
> > "R" on pbidir.com, it will give me a long list of pbi which contains
> > this character whereas the exact PBI "R" locates in the middle of the
> > fifth page. If I try the same search in Software Browser, the Browser
> > also gives me a long list with everything contains the character "r"
> > but then clicking on the next page will give me a message "No PBI
> > found for your search criteria" which then switch back to its homepage
> > within a second or two. Like this, it's sometimes almost impossible to
> > dig out the buried PBI unless you know in what category that PBI is
> > located. In our example, it is under "Math" but I wouldn't surprise if
> > others thought it's under "Educational", "Office" or even
> > "Development".
> >
> > To make pbidir easier to use, it would be good to allow users search
> > for PBIs with additional options... perhaps something like what
> > freebsd.org/ports or freshports provide.
> >
> > 2. Another thing is that I think the structure of pbidir and that of
> > "Application" in KDE4 need to be re-organised as sometimes it is a bit
> > confusing when a specific PBI is required. Let's take the previously
> > stated R as example again. The statistical package is under the
> > category "math" in the FreeBSD port tree, and under "Mathematics" in
> > pbidir, whereas it was under "Utilities" in PCBSD kickoff Application
> > Launcher (I should have made this PBI installed under
> > "Education/Mathematics" when I first made the module; this is now
> > fixed), but the point is that we need to find a way to sort
> > out the possible inconsistency in the location of an application in
> > FreeBSD port tree/pbidir/Kickoff Launcher. Another confusing example
> > is Emacs - this is listed in "editors", "ipv6" and many other
> > categories in the port tree/freshports, listed in "Office" in pbidir
> > whereas can be found in "System" in the Kickoff Launcher (!?).
> >
> > 3. I cannot remember which PBI for now but I noticed that in pbidir
> > some PBIs have thumbnails with a very large file size... some of them
> > are even as large as 2~3MB - obviously overwhelming as a thumbnail
> > which is supposed to have been some KB in size. Also some thumbnails
> > are utterly blurry and some others are plain broken (for instance,
> > Opera). These thumbnail images need to be polished when time.
> >
> > Regards,
> [...]

How have the issues been going now?

Just now I was directly emailed by someone about one of the issues given in
the third point, and I think it's about the time to take some action. I am
wondering if it's possible to grant me the access to pbiDIR so that I could
update/fix those thumbnails/icons/snapshots etc straight away?

Sam