[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Creating a PBI with a symlink in /Programs/sbin

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Feb 3 06:36:14 PST 2011

On 02/02/2011 17:01, Bruce Cran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm creating a PBI for sysutils/ataidle. The problem seems to be that
> it normally installs into /usr/local/sbin but since /Programs/sbin
> doesn't exist no symlink gets created - the files just go
> into /Programs/ataidle . Since it's a command-line application that when
> run with no arguments just displays the help text it needs to be in
> $PATH and not have any shortcuts, icons etc. installed.

Here's how you do it:

First, make a kmenu-dir entry like cabextract here:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pbibuild/modules/archivers/cabextract/kmenu-dir/cabextract

Make sure that ExeNoDesktop/ExeNoMenu are both 1

Then in PBI.SetupScript.sh, you can sym-link the wrapper script into
/Programs/bin:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pbibuild/modules/archivers/cabextract/overlay-dir/PBI.SetupScript.sh

This should get it running just fine.

FWIW, both of these steps are done automatically for you in the PBI9
format, so this will be going away here in the future.

> The other question I have is about avoiding unnecessary files in the
> PBI. The executable is only 15KB and depends on libm libcam libc and
> libsbuf but the PBI seems to pull in extra stuff like gettext and
> results in a 3MB installation. Since I don't provide translations is
> there a way of avoiding that?

The pbibuilder on our build servers is a bit smarter, and will try to
prune any make-only related ports from the final PBI. But if the port
does depend upon gettext, or depends upon something else which does,
it'll still include it.

If you have a module ready, feel free to send it over for us to throw on
the build systems.

- --