[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Using native FreeBSD host's port settings

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Aug 31 11:14:18 PDT 2011

On 08/30/11 21:31, developer at grinz.com wrote:
> Greetings,
> I am a FreeBSD "native" running 9.0-BETA1 with ports-mgmt/pbi-manager
> installed from ports.
> One of the reasons I upgraded early was to try out the new pbi system.
> So far I have sucessfully built several PBIs with pbi_makeport, and I
> am very impressed with the concept and execution (especially that
> everything is written in shell).
> Does pbi_makeport use the following from the host when compiling ports
> in the chroot?
> 1) /var/db/ports
> 2) /etc/make.conf

Neither of those are used when building PBIs. The make.conf stuff is
generated automatically into the build jail, and using settings from
pbi.conf in the PBI_MAKEOPTS variable. So often we'll set a few values
for some of our PBI modules, like WITH_CUPS=yes, etc.

> Would it be possible to use ports-mgmt/portconf
> (/usr/local/libexec/portconf, /usr/local/etc/ports.conf - set in
> /etc/make.conf) during compilation?

I don't have any support for that in place yet, but its an interesting
idea, may have to look into it for a future update :)

> Is there any further documentation regarding the meta-deta
> configuration directory referenced on the PBI Manager Wiki?
Well, there are man pages for each of the pbi_* commands, then the usual
places on the wiki:

And you are always welcome to ask questions here :)