[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] testing VirtualBox 4.0.6

arabicfoss at gmail.com arabicfoss at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 07:36:12 PDT 2011

As suggested on PC-BSD blog I'm reporting my experience with
VirtualBox 4.0.6 on physical PC-BSD 8.2 x64 machine.

I was already using VBox 3.2.12 on it so I did two installs. On the
first one I've chosen to overwrite the previously installed version.
VBox launched correctly but when I tried to launch my Virtual Machines
I've got this error message:

--->
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine arch.

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_SYMLINKS_ARE_NOT_PERMITTED).
Unknown error creating VM (VERR_SUPLIB_SYMLINKS_ARE_NOT_PERMITTED).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {515e8e8d-f932-4d8e-9f32-79a52aead882}
<---

As suggested here
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37448 I then
renamed/moved VBox config files found on:
/home/UserName/.VirtualBox
/home/root/.VirtualBox
/tmp/.vbox-root-ipc

Tried again, but with no luck. Removed VirtualBox 4.0.6 completely and
all its config files then reinstalled it the second time but again the
same error even after adding a new VM.

Now I'll try installing it from ports to see if things progressed there.

Thank you all for your efforts :)

Cheers