[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Question regarding PBI module settings

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 20 05:48:15 PDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
To: pbi-dev at lists.pcbsd.org
Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Question regarding PBI module settings
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:39:09 -0400

On 04/19/2011 20:32, Jesse Smith wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if values set in pbi.conf tickle down to other ports
> that are being built?
>
> For instance, let's look at BigBlueButton
> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=bigbluebutton&stype=name).
> It relies on Java (jdk). Now, if I make a module for BigBlueButton and
> tell the port to use OpenJDK instead of Sun's JDK, will that setting
> trickle down to ports BigBlueButton replies on, such as Red5? Or will I
> need to do something further to make sure Red5 also uses OpenJDK?
>
> Put another way, do variables set in pbi.conf get applied to just the
> target port, or to all ports required to build the target?
>
> Thanks,
> Jesse

Usually they do. Any settings you use in pbi.conf, such as PBI_MAKEOPTS=
will get inserted into the builds /etc/make.conf file, and if you use
the right values it'll effect *all* the ports built for that PBI.

So, assuming the you set an alt-java in MAKEOPTS for BBB, then if red5
uses that same MAKE value for alt-java, it should carry over.

BTW, I think you need to just set JAVA_VENDOR=openjdk in this case. If
you look at /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.java.mk, you'll see some of the different
options.

Thanks Kris. Setting JAVA_VENDOR was my approach for building Red5.
Assuming it builds/runs okay, I'll try the same for BigBlueButton.

- Jesse