[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] New module for OpenTTD

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Thu Sep 16 10:58:56 PDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: David Croal <davidc at sentex.net>
To: Jesse Smith <jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Pbi-dev] New module for OpenTTD
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:24:48 -0400

On 10-09-16 1:19 PM, Jesse Smith wrote:
> I'm not sure of the legal status of the data files. A quick search of
> the Ports collection didn't turn up any data file ports. So maybe it's a
> grey area?
>
> I am in favour of having the build.sh script perform a wget on the data
> file archive and then use the setup script to install the files to their
> proper place.
>
> Will take a look at this when I get a few minutes...
>
> - Jesse

> It is my understanding that the original graphics are used as a test
> that you bought the game at some point. Or, in this case, the game on
> which the open version is based. The author agreed to let people rewrite
> an open source version of his commercial game. You are supposed to have
> some of the original purchased files to play the free version.

This could be, though if they're testing to see if a user has purchased
a copy of the game, why would they offer data file downloads on their
site? They have copies of the data files here
(http://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable)

I can't find anywhere on the OpenTTD site where it says users should
have purchased copies of the original game to play.

- Jesse