[PC-BSD Pbi-dev] Question slash feature suggestion

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 6 08:28:53 PDT 2010

I'm curious if there is a way to get the PBI Builder system to pull
ports from sources other than the official FreeBSD Ports collection?

The reason this comes to mind, and why I'm interested in pulling ports
from other locations, is nicely highlighted by the current on-going wait
for the Chromium web browser. There is a port for Chromium, and it
appears to work, but we've been waiting on it for nearly two months
because it's not in the official Ports collection.

I think it would be a good to be able to pull unofficial ports from
other locations. Either an official PC-BSD specific ports collection, or
from any given URL.

It's not just Chromium, I've submitted a handful of ports and it's
generally six to eight weeks before the new port is accepted, or
rejected. I realize ideally the PBI Builder should pull from FreeBSD's
ports collection. However, as a developer, I'm trying to target PC-BSD
and FreeBSD is sort of a hurdle I have to pass through to get there.
(Don't get me wrong, I like FreeBSD, but it's not always the platform
I'm targeting.)

What I'd like to be able to do is set a flag in the PBI module which
says "Pull this port from ALTURL=someotherlocation.com/newport.shar".
That way I can get a fresh PBI available for use in the PC-BSD community
instead of waiting for the new software to be accepted into the official
Ports.

Comments?
Jesse